Sunday, July 6, 2008

Foundational Element

"Then I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness"  (Ecclesiastes 2:13).

The Scripture tells us that God dwells in unapproachable light( I Timothy 6:16), that in Him there is no darkness (I John 1:5), and that when we get to Heaven there will be no need for the sun because the light of God will give us sight (Revelations 22:5).  I love this description of God because it helps to define His goodness and how in His goodness he cannot allow sin to enter Heaven.

Is darkness an element? No! You can only create darkness by removing light. Light is the element. If you sat in a room of pure darkness and then placed a candle in the middle of the room, what would happen? The darkness would begin to dissipate in the presence of the light.

Now let's imagine that you had a room made of pure light. If you could somehow contain darkness in your hands or in a box of some sort, what would happen to the darkness once exposed to the light? It would be completely consumed by the light.

The same can be said about the goodness of God. Evil is not the element, God's goodness is. Evil is what occurs when God's goodness is removed or held back. Although God's goodness is operative in this world, evil occurs because God does not fully dwell in this world. God however is the only cause of good in this world. Every good thing that is or ever was took place because God enabled it to occur.

God is pure goodness and any hint of sin must be searched out. That is why God is also concerned with our thought lives. Imagine if I could take a high-tech recording device that capture all of your thoughts, everything your eyes met, every word that you spoke, and every step that you took over the course of seven days. Then at the end of the week, I took the information and posted it on YouTube for all the world to see. You would be so terrified that you would desire to get as far away from people as possible.

We however, don't have one week of sin before a group of people who can do nothing to your soul. We have a lifetime of sin before a perfect and righteous creator. "And do not fear those who can kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both soul and body in Hell" (Matthew 10:28).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mario, I find your writings very interesting and make you think. I am curious to know....we are big creationists over here and one of the main reasons we homeschooled our kids....have you ever heard of Kent Hovind? or watched his tapes? He would like your elemental comparisons of light and dark. Paula

Mario B. said...

Thank you for the nice comment. I am sorry for the late reply, as I took a break while my wife attempted to reconfigure my blog...we are still having problems (lol). I have not heard of Kent Hovind, but will look into his ministry. I am glad to hear you are homeschooling as my wife and I are considering doing the same. Thanks again.

Mario

Anonymous said...

Ooh ooh! i homeschool too! I belong to the Mercer County Homeschoolers group if Pep is interested. I guess you have a bit to decide this though. I have seen the Kent Hovind videos well almost all of them. We need number 5 I think. Very ineresting stuff. You can see his tiff on youtube as well. His son is on there as well.